Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Useful Studio Tool - Button Storage

I often use buttons for creating textures in my PMC designs but I was so tired of hunting for the right button as they laid face down on my desk or tossed in a bin...especially when I would be in the middle of working - trying not to have the PMC dry out.

Then...inspired by Styrofoam packaging for electronics, I devised a workable solution.

I purchased a shallow, clear, hinged-topped box and cut a piece of Styrofoam to fit snugly inside. With the back of a paintbrush I made indentations at regular intervals...like little wells for the button shanks. With buttons in many shapes and sizes, figuring out the right spacing was a little tricky and my first attempt was hidden by turning the piece of Styrofoam over in the container and trying again!

The covered box keeps the buttons dust free - but as I have said many times before...for me, with my tools and supplies, out of sight, out of mind...so that is why I chose a clear box.

The buttons lay face up...unless I knock the box over...which I have done.

I find that knowing what I have allows for creative freedom...and helps me not to purchase duplicate supplies!

No comments: