Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Taking the Right Promotion Photos

A Happy Accident...
Feeling the pressure of a printing deadline, I was having a hard time taking a photo to use on my marketing materials.
I knew I wanted something personal...something artsy...and something that said something about me.
All I can say is thank goodness for digital cameras. I can't imagine how much money I would have wasted in bad film trying to get the right shot.
After struggling most of the day and night I finally gave up. Nothing felt right.
I went to bed well after midnight and as I was laying there I had a sudden urge to jump out of bed...in my PJ's and run up to my studio.
I didn't really have a plan but just started putting on lots of my handmade jewelry...no rhyme or reason...necklaces and bracelets.
I set my camera up...moved my pajama straps out of view and started snapping...in black and white.
It was fun. I started to think about how lucky I am to be doing something I love for work and how grateful I am to have the freedom to create...even in the middle of the night in my PJ's!

These two pictures (one vertical, one horizontal) are from that "session" and I have used them many times.
They felt like "me" and the best part is that I took them.
When I decided to just let go...it was effortless.

5 comments:

April said...

I love it! beautiful pictures and great story about letting go

Sarah Ridgley said...

these are great. I think you succeeded!

Jan said...

These are wonderful photos, Jessica! Just perfect! Isn't it great how sometimes "inspiration" just comes out of nowhere?

Cut Copy Create said...

fab! they turned out great!

Veggiemuse said...

thank you!