Saturday, May 15, 2010

Creative Framing

We picked up the components of this little treasure on our recent trip to Europe.
We booked our cruise based on the price, dates and basic geographic location...
as it was the easiest place for Steve to meet us from Afghanistan.

So when I looked closer at our ports of call I realized that one of them was Malta.

I knew nothing about Malta...truthfully, I wasn't even sure where it was exactly.
It ended up being a highlight of the trip!

Turns out The Knights...the actual Knights began there...
The Knights of Malta.
So cool if you are traveling with a 10 year old boy.
We visited their church and the entire floor was constructed of
 marble, mosaic tombs of the Knights.
A little creepy but pretty amazing.

I picked up this piece of handmade lace and framed it with images of some of the tombs that I cut out of a post card.
I used a "floating" frame so that it would look a little more special and so that you would be able to see the items from both sides if you wanted to.

It was hard to get a good picture but it is a really special piece.
Two inexpensive, readily available souvenirs...transformed into a personal work of art.

Think about that on your next trip!

1 comment:

Manon said...

Great idea! It is a wonderful way to showcase your memories. Gorgeous!!